The prize aims to draw attention to the ‘crude, badly written, often perfunctory use of redundant passages of sexual description’ in the modern novel. It also hopes to discourage such writing. The prize does not cover pornographic or expressly erotic literature.
The Bad Sex Award, like the Booker , has a fairly cosmopolitan shortlist that reaches from the USA to India! It includes:
- The Last Banquet by Jonathan Grimwood
- House of Earth by Woody Guthrie
- Motherland by William Nicholson – Leeds readers have given this 5 stars
- The Victoria System by Eric Reinhardt
- The World Was All Before Them by Matthew Reynolds
- The City of Devi by Manil Suri
- Secrecy by Rupert Thomson
- My Education by Susan Choi
Last year the prize was won by Nancy Huston for Infrared.