From asking if it OK to keep a crocodile in a back garden, to how best to marinade a steak, a new list shows the weirdest calls to council call centres across the country over the past 12 months. Borrowing or downloading a book from the library would have helped especially with 2, 8 and 9!
The list includes a call asking how long it takes for an egg to hatch under a lamp and a call from a resident wanting to know how to grow mangoes.
Top 10 bizarre calls to councils:
1. Are there any regulations on keeping a crocodile in my back garden? (Reigate and Banstead BC)
2. Can you teach me how to use a chain-saw? (Chelmsford BC)
3. Do you know where I could get an old bath that I could fill with custard? (LB Sutton)
4. Can you send a pest control officer to remove a frog from the bottom of the communal stairs in my block of flats? (Crawley BC)
5. Am I allowed to bury my horse in my back garden? (Warwickshire CC)
6. “I’ve tried the number given on your website for the library but it doesn’t work.” “What was the number?” “0900 1800” “I’m sorry those are the times the library is open between…” (Surrey CC)
7. How can I get permission to pitch a tent on the central reservation of the A35 trunk road? (Derby City Council)
8. How do you make a marinade to put on my barbecue steaks? (Newark and Sherwood DC).
9. A lady rang to say she couldn’t get any reception on her TV. She’d already contacted the police and the fire brigade but they couldn’t help, so she called the council (Rossendale BC).
10. Can you remove all porn from the internet? (Westminster City Council).