The Edible Book Festival was held at the University of Illinois last Monday.
Bibliophiles, book artists, and food lovers around the world gathered to celebrate the book arts and the (literal!) ingestion of culture.
Participants create an “edible book,” which can be inspired by a favourite story, involve a pun on a famous title, or simply be in the shape of a book (or scroll, or tablet, etc). All entries are exhibited, documented, then eaten.
2014 Festival Award Categories
- -Best Depiction of a Classic
- -Best Visual Presentation
- -Most Appetizing
- -Best Entry Based on Book for Children or Teens
- (Award sponsored by the Center for Children’s Books.)
- Best Collaborative Creation
- People’s Choice
- Rotating Special Category: Best Entry Based on a Banned Book (Need inspiration? See the American Library Association’s guide to frequently challenged books