The picture shows a man browsing for books in Cincinnati’s cavernous Old Main library. It was demolished in 1955.
The original library building stood for 85 years at 629 Vine St., next door to the old Enquirer Building.
Once heralded as “the most magnificent public library in the country,” according to the library website, in the end it was derided as antiquated and unsuitable for the 1.25 million volumes in the library’s collection.
The doors of Old Main closed on January 27th, 1955, and the new Main opened four days later.
The old building was sold to the Leyman Corporation for $615,000, and was razed by the following June.
The site is now a parking garage.