Spring Fiction- 10 titles not to be missed, in stock or coming soon. Watch out for our crime picks coming soon.
1. Kate Atkinson – A God in Ruins – Companion to ‘Life after Life’. It further explores the story pf Ursula’s younger brother fighter pilot Teddy.
2. Patrick Gale – A Place called Winter – Inspired by his own family history, it tells of Harry Cane who is forced to emigrate to Canada to make a new life for himself to prevent his family being engulfed in scandal.
3. Ryan Gattiss – All Involved – Los Angeles 1992 – The riots are shown through 18 different enforcement professionals and gang members Brilliant writing about a different world
4. Kazuo Ishiguro – The Buried Giant – First novel in a decade from the amazing writer of Remains of the Day and Never let me Go. A couple set off in a land of mist & rain in the hope of finding a son they have not seen for many years.
5. Joanna Rakoff – A Fortunate Age – 1990s Brooklyn – A cast of college friends, the Dot.com boom and bust and 9/11 – coming of age in New York.
6. Wolf Winter – Cecilia Ekback – Mystery set in 1717 Sweden. A Finnish family joins a small community of settlers and their daughter discovers a mutilated body.
7. Lillian on life by Alison Jean Lester – Lillian, a single, well-travelled woman of a certain age, wakes up next to her married lover and looks back at her life. It’s not at all the life she expected. Walking the unpaved road between traditional and modern options for women, Lillian has grappled with parental disappointment, society’s expectations and the vagaries of love and sex.
8. A Year of Marvellous Ways by Sarah Winman – An unlikely friendship develops in Cornwall in 1948 between an old lady and a war damaged young man. By the author of When God was a Rabbit
9. Paradise City by Elizabeth Day – 4 strangers lives collide with deep consequences. Depicts the divide between the haves and have-nots in today’s London.
10. The Mirror World of Melody Black by Gavin Extence – Melody is spiralling out of control – a story of mental illness by the author of the extremely well rated ‘The Universe versus Alex Woods’